Thursday, January 18, 2007

There are rumors running through the radio community about the
possibility of a merger between Sirius and XM. I don’t think this is
going to happen. I‘ve read some where (and I wish I could remember
Where) that it is unlikely because of government regs and such.
My opinion of it is that there won’t be a merger but a buyout.
I think that what will happen is that XM will buyout Sirius. Sirius
Paid or is paying Howard Stern 500 million over 5 years and just
gave him a bonus of somewhere around $80 million which I believe
is more than they can really afford right now. Also their stock
price is so low that it should be embarrassing. As of 1-17-07 the
price for Sirius is at $3.86 a share and XM is at $15.45 a share,
and I don’t know of any huge drains on XM’s finances.
I think Sirius bet too much on Howard and it hasn’t paid off.
Yet. Now it might in the future, but, will it be too little, too late.
Only time will tell.

Enjoy This Wild Ride
Mike Dane

No comments: