Tuesday, January 2, 2007

WMJI and Oldies

Awhile ago someone who claimed to be part of WMJI complained
that The Sunday Oldies Jukebox made disparaging comments
about the station. I can't speak for the others at the Jukebox, but
I freely admit that I have in the past taken my share of pot shots
at WMJI both on and off the air.
I think Majic (and Clear Channel) suck, but that's just my opinion.
Their playlist has moved up in years to the point where I have no
intrest in it and in fact hate it. I prefer music from the 50's to early
70's and from there on I tend to cherry pick more. This is one of
the reasons I loved The Sunday Oldies Jukebox from the moment
I stumbled upon it 8 years or so ago as just a listener tuning up the
dial programming my new car radio. They didn't forget the 50's.
And the Play list was/is larger too.
Now mind you, even though I dislike WMJI (and Clear Channel)
that does not extend to the people employed there. I have met only
a few of them, such as John Lanigan and Ravenna Micelli and they
have all been very nice. The problems as I see them comes from
Corporate and not from the local GM, PD/MD and DJ. It's not their
fault. I believe they go to work every day and try to make a living
just like the rest of us.
So to the person who got up tight, relax and take a deep breath.
Because it's not worth getting upset over.

And if you like oldies, why not give the Sunday Oldies Jukebox a
listen on Sunday at 88.9 on your FM dial. I'll be on from 9pm until
midnight.

I'd also like to thank Cliff (also know as 74WIXYgrad) from WIXY's
Gone Bananas ( http://wixygrad.blogspot.com ) for the kind help
and tips on improving my Blog. I need all the help I can get. All the
good parts are thanks to him and all the bad are mine.
LOL

Now go and enjoy the ride on This Wild World of ours.

Mike D.

4 comments:

Johnny Morgan said...

Mike,

Apparently making reference to "that station up north" and "having a larger playlist" (both factual statements, mind you) constitutes insults, etc. to the unnamed anonymous SOJ hater from the comments page at OMW.

Oh well. He has his burden, let him carry it.

Warmest,
The Front Book-End

Cliff said...

Mike,

Thanks for your kinds words.

Alot of formats are currently passing baby boomers by. I'm seeing a repeat of about 20 or so years ago when a neighbor I had at the time was bemoaning the easy listening stations adding vocals. He was about 70 years old at the time.
WMJI is a part of a large corporation, one of what people on message boards call a cookie cutter format.
Whether it be clear channel, CBS, or whomever. The only way we will see any real inviduality is with people like the crew at SOJ, who aren't doing this for a living.

Oldies isn't the only format that suffers from a limited playlist. Every station skewers toward gen x or younger.

Cliff said...

I noticed you added Morgan's Musings to your links. Now we got to get Morgan to do some musing.

Johnny Morgan said...

Oh hell. Alright, fine. :-)